|Compliments of Dick Vanderzee - Author Unknown
This is the way it was. Every time I start missing old
"haze gray and underway" I go through this list.
1. Buy a steel dumpster, paint it gray inside and out, and live in it for six months.
2. Run all the pipes and wires in your house exposed on the walls.
3. Repaint your entire house every six months.
4. Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of the bathtub
and move the shower head to chest level. When you take showers, make
sure you turn off the water while you soap down.
5. Put lube oil in your dehumidifier and set it on high.
6. Once a week, blow compressed air up your chimney, making sure the
wind caries the soot onto your neighbors house. Ignore his complaints.
7. Once a month, take all major appliances apart and then reassemble them.
8. Raise the thresholds and lower the headers of your front and back doors so
that you either trip or bang your head every time you pass through them.
9. Disassemble and inspect your lawnmower every week.
10. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, turn your water heater temperature
up to 200 degrees. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, turn the water heater off.
On Saturdays and Sundays tell your family they use too much water
during the week, so no bathing will be allowed.
11. Raise your bed to within 10 inches of the ceiling, so you can't turn over
without getting out and then getting back in.
12. Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a curtain.
Have your spouse whip open the curtain about 3 hours after you go to sleep,
shine a flashlight in your eyes and say "Sorry, wrong rack".
13. Make your family qualify to operate each appliance in your
house. *Dishwasher Operator, Blender Technician, et cetera.
14. Have your neighbor come over each day at 5 am, blow a whistle so
loud Helen Keller could hear it, and shout "Reveille, reveille, up all
hands, heave out and trice up".
15. Have your mother-in-law write down everything down she's going to do
the following day, then have her make you stand in your back yard while
she reads it to you.
16. Submit a request chit to your father-in-law requesting permission to leave
your house before 3pm.
17. Empty all the garbage bins in your house and sweep the driveway three
times a day, weather it needs it or not. "Now sweepers, sweepers man your
brooms, give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft, empty all trash cans
over the fantail".
18. Have your neighbor collect your mail for a month, read your magazines
and randomly lose every 5th item before delivering it to you.
19. Watch no TV except for movies played in the middle of the night. Have
your family vote which movie to watch, then show a different one.
20. When your children are in bed, run into their room with a megaphone
shouting that your home is under attack and ordering them to their battle
stations. "Now general quarters, general quarters, general quarters, all hands
man your battle stations".
21. Make your family menu a week ahead of time without consulting the pantry
22. Post a menu on the kitchen door informing your family that they are
having steak for dinner. Then make them wait in line for an hour. When
they finally get to the kitchen, tell them your out of steak, but they can have
dried ham or hot dogs. Repeat daily until they ignore the menu and just ask
for hot dogs.
23. Bake a cake. Prop up one side of the pan so the cake bakes unevenly.
Spread icing real thick to level it off.
24. Get up every night around midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly
sandwich on stale bread.
25. Set your alarm clock to go off at random during the night. At the alarm,
jump up and dress as fast as you can, making sure to button your top shirt
button and tuck your pants into your socks. Run out into the backyard and
uncoil the garden hose.
26. Every week or so, throw your cat or dog into the pool and shout
"Man overboard port side". Rate your family members on how fast
27. Put the headphones from your stereo on your head, but don't plug them in.
Hang a paper cup on a string around your neck on a string. Stand in front of the
stove, and speak into the paper cup "Stove manned and ready". After an hour or
so, speak into the cup again, "Stove secured". Roll up the headphones and
paper cup and stow them in a shoe box.
28. Place a podium at the end of your driveway. Have your family stand watches
at the podium, rotating at 4 hour intervals. This is best done when the weather
is worst. January is a good time.
29. When a thunderstorm is in your area, get a wobbly rocking chair, sit in it
and rock as hard as you can until you become nauseous. Make sure to have
a supply of stale crackers in your shirt pocket.
30. For former engineers: Bring your lawnmower into the living room, and run it
all day long.
31. Make coffee using eighteen scoops of budget priced coffee grounds per
pot. Allow the pot to simmer 5 hours before drinking.
32. Have someone under the age of ten give you a haircut with sheep shears.
33. Sew the back pockets of your jeans on the front.
34. Every couple of weeks dress up in your best cloths and go to the
scummiest part of town. Find the most rundown trashiest bar. Drink beer
until you are hammered. Walk all the way home.
35. Lock yourself and you family in the house for six weeks. Tell them that the
end of the 6th week you are going to take them to Disney World for "liberty".
At the end of the 6th week, inform them the trip to Disney World has been
canceled because they need to get ready for an inspection, and it will be
another week before they can leave the house.