|Mascot design by Richard Tracey 1953
|Dick Traecy sketched the bear on a 2' X 2' piece of plywood for
Jerry Walkins. Jerry had some model plane "dope" as they called
it back then, and Jerry did the painting with Dicks supervision.
Dick copied the work on the large air vent covering in the rear of
the Supply Office. They finished up just prior to inspection and
then sweated out the Old Man's reaction when he saw their work.
Captain Joe Gunn loved it when he saw it. It was adopted as our
symbol from that time on.
Dick also did the artwork for the 1954 World Cruise Book.
|Above information provided by, Jerry Walkins 51-55